Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Back in the Sky

Tuesday John, Bill, and I headed to Tarkio to see what we could make happen. The sky was blue with some cirrus clouds so we didn't expect much thermal activity. When we got to the LZ, our wind sock was indicating a slight Northeast wind. Skunked! John and I figured we ought to at least cruise to launch since we had driven all the way out to Tarkio. When we rounded the final bend, we were shocked to see the trees leaning. Thermals were ripping directly up launch. It was going to be a good day.

I had brought my camera equipment out to finally get some in-flight photos. When everything was ready, I launched and immediately hooked into a thermal. John and Bill launched right after me and also shot straight up. We were shocked by the conditions. Nice consistent lift. The three of us flew around the valley for about two hours enjoying the afternoon.

The camera system seemed to work ok, but I still have a few kinks to work out. Overall I was pleased with the results from my first attempt. Here are a few pics I captured.


Thermaling over lower launch.




Upper launch in the background.

Trying my best to photograph Bill.

1 comment:

OB said...

Nice work... Send that last one into the mag. Keep the enthusiasm. Lookin' forward to Lakeview. Cheers.